Word from the Director of CRTI
Presentation of CRTI
Under the Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research, the Research Center in Industrial Technologies, created by the Executive Decree N°. 15-109 of May 3rd, 2015, amending the Executive Decree N°. 92-280 of July 6th, 1992 creating Welding and NDT Research Center (CSC), is a Scientific and Technical Public Establishment (EPST)
CRTI, ex-CSC, has a human potential of 750 officials, including 300 permanent researchers, 200 technical staff, and 150 experts and engineers from the subsidiary CSC expertise Spa. Moreover, the center has a lot of research and valorization structures throughout the national territory.
Before acquiring the status of (EPST), the center has passed through different stages of development, starting with the creation of welding and nondestructive laboratory (LSCND) in 1985 up to the creation of a national research center in 1992.
CRTI, ex-CSC, has overall responsibility for implementing necessary research programs for the development of welding and destructive and nondestructive testing technologies. Nearly thirty years later, the mission remains as relevant. However, over the decades, the content of the center’s missions has developed and enhanced, which has required redefining the missions and changing the name of the center. In this regard, the center is now called “Research Center in Industrial Technologies”.
CRTI is mainly responsible for:
- Carrying out necessary research projects to the development of industrial technologies, including assembly techniques, nondestructive testing, and corrosion.
- Organizing, developing and promoting quality assurance and quality control of industrial plants.
- Developing and contributing to achieving compilations, norms, and standards related to the technologies of assemblies, nondestructive testing, industrial plants and corrosion of metallic materials.
- Improving, verifying and using the welding, nondestructive testing, analysis and measurement equipment.
- Developing applied research in the field of iron and steel, such as the elaboration and the characterization of special steels and alloys.
- Mastering and developing mechatronics and applied maintenance to industrial plants.
- Developing research programs in the elaboration, the characterization and the study of nonmetallic materials behavior, such as composites, ceramics, etc…..
- Developing research programs in the technology of materials surface treatment and their applications.
At the present time, the CRTI whose headquarters is located in cheraga, Algiers, has six research divisions and is composed of:
- Applied Research Unit in Iron and Steel (URASM), located in the steel complex Arcelor-Mittal EL Hadjar / Annaba, along with three research divisions.
- Industrial Technology Research Unit (URTI), located on the campus of the University in Sidi Amar Badji Mokhtar / Annaba along with two research divisions.
- Thin Films and Applications Development Unit (UDCMA), located in the industrial area of Setif, along with two research divisions.
- Mechatronic technology platform located at the industrial area of Bou-Ismail.
- Subsidiary CSC Expertise-Spa, located in the industrial area of Bou-Ismail, province of Tipaza.
At the African level, the center is characterized by occupying the leading position very particularly in the field of nondestructive testing (NDT). As regards to the research results, the center has produced several patents, numerous publications, national and international communications.
Exchanges, scientific and technical cooperation and technical assistance to the domestic industry are the cruxes of our policy and our development strategy. Within this context, CRTI has set up framework conventions, research contracts and provisions. On one hand, with several academic institutions and research structures. On the other hand, with strategic domestic enterprises and multinational companies operating in the field of hydrocarbons.
This strategy has enabled the mobility of researchers, the valorization of scientific research results and the effective problem-solving of the socio-economic sector. As such, the selection of our research programs. Primarily, in the needs to be expressed by the domestic industry in our area of intervention.
CSC has established a subsidiary, CSC expertise Spa, which is accredited to the international standard ISO / IEC 17020 to contribute to the economic development of the country as it is meant to be a reliable link between the center and the domestic industry. A hundred and fifty highly qualified engineers and experts are devoted to maintaining the domestic industry by using their potentials and their technological know-how in the different divisions of the center. Aware of the different challenges and competitiveness among the industrial sectors, the General Directorate has put a great emphasis on the quality of its laboratories. The mechanical testing, chemical analysis and calibration and NDT verification laboratories are accredited to the international standard ISO / IEC 17025, to highly contribute to the technical assistance for the domestic industry.
Along with the real support provided to research, the center is positioned to increasingly support the development of the domestic industry by working tirelessly to solve technical constraints linked to scientific and technical development, and, constantly, keeping an ear open to its national and international partners, so as to identify their needs and implement both human and material resources required to provide effective solutions to the problems within its sphere of competence.